Sunday, February 20, 2011

10 Years Without Number 3

I've always enjoyed Nascar, but was never a die-hard fan.  I enjoyed watching "The Intimidator" race.  But to sit for hours on end and watch a race on TV seemed liked a "job" to me instead of fun.  When Dale Jr. started racing I became a fan of his as well.

Then I met hubby.  He is a die-hard Nascar fan.  Jeff Gordon. So, now I do sit and watch Nascar races and have even been to some dirt track races with him.  Do you know how loud they are? I can only imagine that the Nascar races are 10 times louder.

This weekend is the Daytona 500 and the 10 year anniversary of the passing of Dale Sr.  Like most fans I can tell you where I was when I heard those words "We lost Dale Earnhardt."  I have watched the festivities of the week and teared up many times.  The racing world is not the same without "The Intimidator" out there running laps, but it is safer.  Because of his death Nascar has tightened down on safety to make sure all the drivers are safe in their vehicles. 

Thanks to Nascar for including him in the Daytona race and speed week.  Tony Stewart holding 3 fingers out the window when he won on Saturday, the silent #3 lap and all the fans standing holding up 3 fingers. 

We miss you Dale.  I'm sure you are smiling down and watching your boy race today.

No comments: