Wednesday, July 17, 2013

SUPERBOOK ~ Relive The Greatest Stories Ever Told ~ Review

I am going to admit it right now.  I have not attended a church service of any kind since I was a kid. It isn't that I don't believe in the "man upstairs" it is just that I have always known that I don't need to go to a special place to have my relationship with HIM. Thus, I am not a religious individual.  Sure, I do some talking to HIM as I lay awake in bed at night and I hope that HE does hear me.  I like to think that HE does anyway.

So, when we had our little one, the topic has come up numerous times on how and when we will introduce any part of the bible to her. Up to this point there hasn't really been any discussion of the bible, but with me homeschooling our little one, I want her to be aware.  To share some of my knowledge with her so that when she gets older, she can make the choice on her own.

Coming across a chance to do a review for SUPERBOOK came at the right time.  She is at the age where she can start to watch some of the programming, though I believe she is still to young to grasp some of the stories.

Thanks to CBN and MomSelect I was able to do a review of the SUPERBOOK series.

This series was developed in 1981 by the same folks that brought you Speed Racer.  There have been 52 episodes that have been released and they have them available in 43 languages and the show is broadcast in 106 countries.  The estimate that this show is viewed by over 500 million people worldwide. 

You will travel back in time to the relive some of the "greatest stories ever told," and your travel companions are Joy, Chris and robot Gizmo (who the little one really liked).  These shows are recommended for ages 6+. Some stories you (the adult/guardian), might want to review first as some of the stories may not be suitable for certain children.

These are the DVDs that I was sent:

In the Beginning
The Test
Jacob and Esau
Joseph
Let My People Go!
The Ten Commandments
A Giant Adventure
Jonah
Roar!
The First Christmas
Miracles of Jesus
The Last Supper
He is Risen!
The Road to Damascus

This one was her favorite one of the group I think:


And she also enjoyed:


If you were lucky to catch them the Superbook episodes aired on both CBS in June and ABC Family in July.  If not and this is some programming that you would be interested in, you can head over to CBN.com and if you join the Superbook DVD Club you will automatically receive each new episode and as a bonus, they will send you two extra copies of each episode so that you can give them to other family members or friends.  Just at CBN.com click on Get Superbook and follow the directions.

As for our opinion:

The programming was really easy to follow, at least for me.  Brought back some of those things that I remember being taught as a youngster, but easier to follow as these are in animation form. The little one was able to watch along and was asking me questions about what had happened or to explain something to her.  She was able to follow along with the programs for the most part, she would probably have a better understanding of what was going on if she was a little older.  

I really liked how the shows allow a child (or even an adult) the opportunity to use their imagination to travel back in time and to become part of the story.  There is even humor involved. 

In my opinion I think that this is programming that your whole family will enjoy, whether or not you attend church or are religious.  If you want some "feel good moments" or just want to brush up on some of the bible stories then I highly recommend this programming.  

Each DVD is approximately 28 minutes long so your child won't lose interest because they aren't sitting there for hours.  We have actually watched a couple of them more than once.  She really enjoys watching them and it is nice, she is actually learning a few things as well.

Disclaimer: I would like to thank CBN.com and MomSelect for allowing Lollipops n' Ladybugs to participate in this promotion.  I received absolutely no monetary compensation for this post, however, I did receive the above mentioned DVDs, free of charge, so that we could do a proper review.



1 comment:

buzzd said...

That is great that she loves them. They look like they would be fun and educational.