Friday, October 1, 2010

Older New Moms ~ Has this happened to you?!?

I don't necessarily mean "new" new Moms (as you might have a toddler now), but Moms that became Moms in their mid to late 30's or even 40's.  You take your little one out to run errands, head to the park, zoo, or where ever your adventures might take you, you are having a wonderful day, the little one is happy and then it happens.

What, you say?!?

Someone comes up to you and tells you how adorable your grandchild is.  You agree and thank them, but what else do you say?

1.  I will straight up tell them that I am the Mom, not the Grandma. This has happened to me at least twice now. One time a person actually thought that a friend that was holding her was her Mom and I was the Grandma (another words, my friends mother, and oh by the way, my friend is older then I am). Of course this leads to other topics, such as: don't you think you are to old to be having children? How do you keep up with her?

2.  You could ignore the comment and just smile and thank them.

3,  You could just walk away, saying nothing.

If you fit this criteria and this situation happened to you, what would you do?  I don't want to be rude, but after awhile this assumption by strangers can get on your last good nerve.  I try not to let it bother me anymore.  I know she is mine, and that is all that matters.

Then, I have had this happen as well.  As most know, if you have read my profile, I didn't meet my hubby until the beginning of 2007, yes, in my 30's.  Apparently I had been waiting for him all along, and didn't date or see anyone for years before.  It was just work, work, work, work.  So, even while I was pregnant for her, and after she was born I would get comments such as: "I never pictured you as a Mom." (this is a direct quote from someone I know).  How would that make you feel??

The fun questions and assumptions made by people when you become a Mom at an advanced maternal age.  Oh and I have never heard anyone ask my hubby those same questions.  So, it must just be a Mom thing.

1 comment:

Cheeseboy said...

I blame you not at all for telling them straight up.